Taken from http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/examination/examination08.jsp
Article 1 : Purpose
The Purpose of these Regulations is to regulate the procedures of Kukkiwon (World Taekwondo Headquarters) Poom or Dan promotion tests and issuance of Dan certificates in order to up-lift the Taekwondo techniques and standardize the Poom or Dan grades throughout the World.
Article 2 : Application
These Regulations shall be applied to the following:
1. Taekwondo instructors and their students who have been duly enrolled as members of an organization in each Member National Associations of the World Taekwondo Federation.
2. Taekwondo instructors and their students who have practiced in the countries where there are no Member National Federations affiliated with the WTF.
3. One who has a similar Taekwondo Dan certificate issued by a private group and wishes to receive a Kukkiwon Dan certificate on condition that he/she respect the Rules and Regulation of Kukkiwon.
4. Those who wish to apply for a Dan certificate from outside their own countries, in which case it is necessary to submit a certificate proving their residence for more than 6 months in a foreign country
Article 3 : Rights
Kukkiwon shall be the supreme executive organ to exercise its exclusive rights over Dan Promotion tests, e.g. approval of promotion tests, test performance, supervision of promotion tests including screening of Poom or Dan applications, certificates and sanctions of Poom or Dan certificates.
Article 4 : Obligations
1. WTF will support the Member National Associations to help perform the task of Dan promotion testing smoothly.
2. The president of each Member National Association must faithfully perform the Dan promotion testing.
3. Applicants shall observe the test regulations provided by the Kukkiwon.
Article 5 : Recommendation
1. Submission of Dan promotion test applications should be made only via the President of the Member National Association (MNA) of the WTF in nations where the MNA controls at least 70% of Taekwondo bodies and private instructors. It is not allowed to be recommended by the individual instructors in those countries. Individual instructors are not permitted to make personal recommendations.
2. In those countries which do not fall into this category (herein after called “the 1st category”), applications can be submitted by both the Member National Association and independent instructors.
3. The students who practice Taekwondo under the instruction of the instructors recognized by the Kukkiwon in the countries where are no Member National Federations affiliated with the WTF should be recommended by those instructors and submit the application along with the confirmation by the local authorities concerned in that country.
Article 6 : Composition
1. In order to carry out the aforesaid tests, Member National Association will establish the following organizations.
(1).Organization for promotion test
(2) Any Member National Association which does not have, among its members, official Kukkiwon 6th Dan or higher Dan holders should obtain approval from the Kukkiwon to carry out the testing.
(3) Promotion tests should be composed of three to ten members and they must be arranged so that they may easily view the testee’s performance.
2. Article 6-1 will be applied if the Dan Certificates are issued only through each country’s Taekwondo governing body. Before implementation of procedure to issue certificates through each country’s Taekwondo governing body, the present procedure shall be allowed, in which an instructor who is recognized by the Kukkiwon or president of a Member National Association has the right to recommend the Application to the Kukkiwon directly.
Article 7 : Test Performance
1. Each test will consist of practical testing and theoretical study and it will be carried out in the following ways:
(1) Practical testing only will be applied to the applicants for under 5th Dan grades, however, if necessary, theoretical study will be required in the 4th and 5th Dan promotion test.
(2) Over 6th Dan promotion testing shall conduct the practical and theoretical test. However, for a applicants staying abroad, practical test shall be conducted and recommended by the instructor who is recognized by the Kikkiwon or Member National Association. However one should submit a treatise not less than 10 page of A4 size (21cm X 30cm) paper in Korean, English, French, German or Spanish together with the application forms. Subject will be determined separately.
2. Promotion test for under 5th Dan may be entrusted to the city or province Taekwondo Association. However, the Member National Federation will exclusively manage and perform the tests for higher Dan grades (6th Dan and higher). If considered necessary, however, the execution of tests may be adjustable.
3. The Member National Association Perform the promotion test fairly. Kukkiwon adjust and control it when the examinees are damaged by a method of unfair.
4. Applicants worldwide for 8th and 9th Dan promotion should take physical performance test at the Kukkiwon. The test is conducted in every quarter of the year. Test of applicants from outside Korea for 7th or lower Dan can be conducted under the joint inspection of the local higher Dan holder and the member of the test committee dispatched by the Kukkiwon to the country or the region concerned.
5. In principle, promotion tests should be considered one time a month, if considered necessary, however, the execution of tests may be adjustable.
6. For the safety of the applicant, the chief of the test commission shall take the following measures;
(1) A doctor or a person qualified in first aid shall be present according to the scale of the test.
(2) Relevant instruction for safety shall be made to the applicants and test commission prior to the examination.
7. Kukkiwon and the organizing committee of Dan promotion test don’t have any responsibility to the law in criminal or civil affairs in case of any applicant’s injuries or death in the course of Dan promotion test.
Article 8 : Time & Age Limits for Poom or Dan Promotion
1. Time and Age Limits
(1) All applicants should have passed the minimum time and age required for promotion.
(2) One who started from Poom may have the privilege of test application with shortened time limits until 5th Dan promotion.
2. 1,2,3 Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, is the same grade of Dan holder. (4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, is the same as 4th Dan holder)
*1, 2, 3 Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, can have the Dan Certificates when they want to change their Poom certificates. (4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, can change the 4th Dan certificate)
3. When 1, 2, 3 Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, want to be promoted to the next higher
Dan, he or she can be applied Dan promotion test. However, 3rd Poom holder who is 18 years of
age and above can be applied 4th Dan and under 18 years of age can be applied 4th Poom.
Article 9 : Classification of Test Applications
1. Poom/Dan promotion test
2. Special Dan promotion test
3. An Honorary Dan promotion test; An Honorary Dan grade may be awarded to those personages who
are considered to have great merits in the development of Taekwondo.
4. Posthumous honours Dan test, one who holds a high grade of Dan will be endowed if he has
extraordinary merits, with a next higher grade at his passing away.
Article 10 : Subjects of Promotion Test
1. Test of Techniques
(1) Poomsae (Forms)
(2) Kyorugi (Sparring)
(3) Kyokpa (Power check)
(4) Special technique
2. Test of theoretical study (over 4th Dan applicant)
(1) Written examination
Article 11 : Specified Subjects of Practical Techniques Applied to the Poom and Dan Promotion Test
Article 12 : Scoring the Test
1. Scoring for the test shall be performed by means of attached forms and the main principles are as
(1) The members of the promotion board should be consisted of an odd number (3 or 5 persons) and shall score the player within 100 points.
(2) One who obtains over 60 points will be passed and under 59 points will be failed.
(3) There are the same as below example that passing or not is decided according to the scored result by the members of promotion board.
* In case of 1st Poom/Dan to 8th Dan (Except special promotion test for 8th Dan from abroad)
Article 13 : Test Uniforms
Applicants for the examination shall wear the following during the promotion test
(1) Official Do-Bok
(2) Protectors(Trunk protectors, Headgear, Groin guard)
Article 14 : Registration Fees
1. Registration fees which are required to maintain the Dan records and issuance of Dan/Poom certificates will be fixed separately.
2. Exemption or reduction of the registration fees will be allowed in the following cases, however, it should be approved by the president of Kukkiwon through a written report by the president of Member National Association.
(1) Due to a poor economy
(2) When political support is required
(3) Disaster by calamity
(4) Others, to be determined case by case
3. One must pay all previous Dan fees if jumping a Dan is allowed.
Article 15 : Discretional Authority of President
Despite the present regulations, the President of Kukkiwon may exercise his discretional authority in dealing with promotion tests in accordance with the decision of the Kukkiwon promotion test committee.
Article 16 : Issuance of Poom/Dan Certificates
The Kukkiwon Dan promotion committee which is composed of senior Dan grade black belt holder shall carry out the screening of Dan promotion applications. According to the result of screening, Dan/Poom certificates shall be issued in the following manners;
(1) Those countries which fall in the 1st category (Article 5-1), Dan certificates of the 5th or lower Dan are issued in the joint names of both Presidents of the Kukkiwon and the pertinent Member National Association. The President of each pertinent Member National Association should sign his/her official signature registered with the Kukkiwon at the left hand bottom of the Dan certificates.
However, in those countries which are not included in the 1st category, Dan certificates are issued by the President of Kukkiwon.
(2) 6th Dan certificates and above shall be issued by the signature by the President of Kukkiwon.
Article 17 : Privileges
As in the following case, it may have the privileges of test application with shortened age and time
1. In case of a man of merit
(2) Privileges will be given only one time to his promotion in the period concerned.
(3) He who wishes to receive the privileges should submit the concerned documents as follows
a. Winner certification confirmed by the Member National Association
b. Devoted or Instruction certificates confirmed by the official authorities
(4) The privileges will be applicable from 1st up to 7th Dan promotion.
2. The students who will be graduated form University of physical Education. It will be specially allowed to test for 4th Dan promotion before the required time to those who have 3rd Dan before senior year and majored in Taekwondo at a University of physical Education. In above case, one is required to be recommended by y the guide professor in his school.
* Documents for an expectant graduate
(1) Students record (All the years)
(2) A school certificate (Graduate Diploma)
3. He who wishes to receive the privileges for the shortage of age of time.
(1) He who wishes to receive the privileges for the shortage of age or time should submit the concerned documents as follows;
a. Application for promotion test
b. Personal history/ Taekwondo career
c. Explanatory recommendation by the president of the Member National Association. However, in those countries which do not fall into 1st category, recommendation can be submitted by both the Member National Association and independent instructors
d. Korean staying abroad is required to submit a document or residency in respective foreign countries.
e. Others supporting data, if any.
(2) Despite the shortage of age or period, president of Kukkiwon may exercise his discretional authority in dealing with promotion tests in accordance with the decision of the Kukkiwon promotion test committee.
Article 18 : Permission of Similar Dan certificates and Jump-up Promotion
1. This applies to one who has a similar Taekwondo Dan certificates, it is required to submit the
(1) Application for promotion test
(2) Personal history/ Taekwondo career
(3) Explanatory recommendation by the president of the Member National Association. However, in those countries which do not fall into 1st category, recommendation can be submitted by president of Member National Association or independent instructors.
(4) Korean staying abroad is required to submit any document of residency in respective foreign countries.
(5) Other supporting data
2. The one who do not have Kukkiwon Dan/Poom certificates or who need to promote as jumped-up
promotion in special reasons. It is required to submit the following documents.
(1) Application for promotion test
(2) Personal history/ Taekwondo career
(3) Explanatory recommendation and test record by the president of Member National Association. However, in those countries which do not fall into 1st category, recommendation and test record can be submitted by the president of Member National Association or independent instructors
(4) Taekwondo activities and devoted
(5) Korean staying abroad is required to submit any document of residency in respective foreign countries.
(6) Other supporting data
3. Above 1,2 Article may be allowed through the screening by the Kukkiwon promotion test committee and settle it by the president of Kukkiwon.
Article 19 : Sanctions
If any of the following violations are committed, the violator shall be sanctioned by expulsion, deprivation of Dan certificates and/or suspension of memberships.
(1) Alteration or disqualification of Dan certificates
(2) Dan promotion testing executed by unauthorized persons
(3) Issuing Dan certificates by the name of own instructors or Member National Association
Article 20 : Gup Promotion Test
The instructor who holds 4th Dan or higher Dan has a right to test the Gup promotion and issue the Gup certificates by his name for his students. By-laws for Gup promotion test will be made up separately.
Article 21 : Administration
Documents for applicants for Dan promotion tests are required as follows;
1. Application form (As attached Kukkiwon form No. 1(Domestic), No. 1-1 (Overseas)
(1) Korean nationals staying abroad shall attach a document to confirm their actual residence in the respective foreign countries.
(2) Applications for 1st Poom/Dan promotion tests shall attach a copy of residential registration (Korean only)
– List of applicants name (As attached Kukkiwon form No.2)
– Test results and payment of registration fees
2. Above test documents shall be submitted to Kukkiwon within 30 days prior to date of test, while within 10 days in case of Korean domestic district association.
3. Kukkiwon will issue Dan or Poom certificates to the pertinent qualified applicants according to the application form within 20 days from the date of test to overseas and 15 days to domestic applications.
Budo South Taekwondo Club uses two forms of ranking system.
1. A ranking system within our club
2. Kukkiown ranking system
The reason for the two different system is inconsistencies in dates for certification. Budo South uses the same examination panels for both certifications.
In 1972, with the support of the Korean Government, the Kukkiwon was constructed in Seoul to serve as the central gymnasium for taekwondo in Korea. In 1973, on the occasion of the 1st World Taekwondo Championships held in Seoul, the world taekwondo Federation was formed with the participation of 19 countries. This was WTF taekwondo’s official debut as a world sport and the symbolic beginning of the process of globalization. that has resulted in the WTF boasting a membership of over 160 countries by the time of the Sydney Olympics, 27 years later.
The Kukkiwon, located in the Kangnam district of Seoul, was established in 1972 with the goal of serving as the headquarters from which taekwondo could be spread to the world as an international martial sport. The Kukkiwon, with its distinctly Korean architecture, has also come to be seen as symbolic of the Korean spirit found in taekwondo values.
Kukkiwon is also responsible for the issuing of Black Belts, recognized throughout the world. A Kukkiwon black belt is required for competing internationally, and taking part in sanctioned WTF training and officiating.